Episode 11: Universal Access to Basic Finance
Andreas M. Antonopoulos is a best-selling author, speaker, educator, and one of the world’s foremost bitcoin and open blockchain experts.
In “Universal Access to Basic Finance,” Andreas advocates for protecting and expanding access to universal basic finance. Echoing previous talks like “Worse Than Useless,” he explains why the question of how cryptocurrencies should be regulated is a distraction, and that eradicating cash will not affect the most powerful bad actors, who operate with state-sponsored impunity and banking licenses. He also declares that those who develop surveillance infrastructure have exhibited moral bankruptcy and should face a period of scrutiny over their ethical integrity.
This talk took place on June 12th 2019 at the CryptoCompare Digital Asset Summit in London, England.
This series is called ‘Unscrypted’ for a reason: all of Andreas’ talks are performed without slides or notes. You can find any necessary corrections and clarifications in the podcast description.
Credits: The narration for this episode was done by Stephanie Murphy. Production support from Erica and Jessica. Video editing by Adrian Tano. Sound engineering by Dimitris Angelidis of Sampi Media. Logo design by Davi Barker. The music is called “Unbounded” by Orfan.
At 17:42, Andreas says that women in Saudi Arabia can’t own property and bank accounts. While they legally can, it is usually in a relatively very restricted capacity. To buy or sell property, particularly if high-value, they often require the support of multiple men. Claims on property are held in higher regard when they come from men rather than women. Women can use bank accounts as long as they have permission from their male guardian(s). They have only recently been encouraged to pursue home ownership themselves. Furthermore, LGBT persons, including those identifying as women, have next to no protections under the law.
“Universal Access to Basic Finance” – https://youtu.be/Pkgo05Hdnfg
- “Introduction to Bitcoin” – https://aantonop.com/introduction-to-bitcoin/
- “The Stories We Tell About Money” – https://aantonop.com/the-stories-we-tell-about-money/
- “Forkology: A Study of Forks for Newbies” – https://aantonop.com/forkology/
- “Streaming Money” – https://aantonop.com/streaming-money/
- “The Currency Wars” – https://aantonop.com/the-currency-wars/
- “Escaping the Global Banking Cartel” – https://aantonop.com/escaping-the-global-banking-cartel/
- “Money as a System of Control” – https://aantonop.com/money-as-a-system-of-control/
- “Worse than Useless: Financial Surveillance” – https://aantonop.com/worse-than-useless/
- “Picking the Right Blockchain for the Job” – https://aantonop.com/picking-the-right-blockchain-for-the-job/
- “Another Brick in the Firewall” – https://aantonop.com/another-brick-in-the-firewall/
“The Killer App: Bananas on the Blockchain?” – https://aantonop.com/the-killer-app-bananas-on-the-blockchain/
Want early-access to talks? Monthly live Q&As with Andreas? Become a patron: https://www.patreon.com/aantonop
MASTERING BITCOIN, 2nd Edition: https://amzn.to/2xcdsY9
THE INTERNET OF MONEY, v1: https://amzn.to/2ykmXFs
THE INTERNET OF MONEY, v2: https://amzn.to/2IIG5BJ
Spanish, ‘Internet del Dinero’ (v1) – https://amzn.to/2yoaTTq
German, ‘Das Internet des Geldes’ (v1) – https://amzn.to/2LEiyqO
German, ‘Das Internet des Geldes’ (v2) – https://amzn.to/2VCzse5
French, ‘L’internet de l’argent’ (v1) – https://www.amazon.fr/Linternet-largent-Andreas-M-Antonopoulos/dp/2856083390
Russian, ‘Интернет денег’ (v1) – https://www.olbuss.ru/catalog/ekonomika-i-biznes/korporativnye-finansy-bankovskoe-delo/internet-deneg
Vietnamese, ‘Internet Của Tiền Tệ’ (v1) – https://alphabooks.vn/khi-tien-len-mang
MASTERING ETHEREUM: https://amzn.to/2xdxmlK